On 10/8/10 4:22 PM, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
>> c12=c3c(c4c(c5c(c1csc2)csc5)csc4)csc3        5860502
>> C12C(C3C(C4C(C5C1CSC5)CSC4)CSC3)CSC2 5860502
>
>> c12=c(nn2)ssnc1S     6137697
>> c12c(nn2)ssnc1S      6137697
>
> I've been looking at very similar SMILES for the kekulize code. As a general
> question -- is it ever OK to output a '=' between two aromatic atoms?
>
> I haven't thought of a good example yet.

The original purpose of aromaticity was to avoid Kekule' structures so that
databases could use SMILES as an indexable, unique identifier.  That is still
the main purpose.

A secondary purpose is the SMILES-as-SMARTS problem: Every SMILES should match
itself as a SMARTS (it's not 100% true, but pretty close).

With those in in mind ... there's probably never a good reason to put an '=' in
an aromatic ring.  Would c=c match?  No.  Is there a canonical form?  Maybe,
but it would require some pretty tricky rules.

My two cents.

Craig