Tim,

Thanks, I can build my executable per your instructions and it runs
without segfaults, but doesn't seem to get the format plugins yet - the
output when I want to get SMILES for example is empty.

I'm also looking at the page "Plugins -> Creating custom static
libraries" at http://openbabel.org/wiki/CMake
but it's so terse I cannot figure out how to use this information for a
project that does not use cmake itself. And I'm not a cmake expert at
all unfortunately...

Igor