In the OB docs, there's an example C++ program. Can you edit this so that
it reproduces the problem? Also, are you including babelconfig.h as follows?

-DOPENBABEL2_INCLUDE_DIR=C:\Tools\openbabel\trunk\include;C:\Tools\openbabel\trunk\windows-vc2008\build\include
-DOPENBABEL2_LIBRARIES=C:\Tools\openbabel\trunk\windows-vc2008\build\src\Release\openbabel-2.lib

- Noel