On 30 May 2012 16:10, Craig James <cja...@emolecules.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Noel O'Boyle <baoille...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've just confirmed what Craig was seeing. I have CMake 2.8.5.
>>
>> I always install locally but once I added the installed lib directory
>> to the front of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, all the tests started to segfault.
>> I'll look into it....
>

> Well, good, I thought I was going crazy. ;-)
>
> Here's an observation that might help: valgrind reports LOTS of errors, all
> related to double-free memory.  There seems to be something about the test
> programs specifically that screws up the C++ constructor/destructor system.
> It appears to be deleting objects prematurely.
>
> In some cases it happens during the test.  The place it's most obvious is
> when programs complete, but then get a segfault during the exit() call as
> the destructors are being run.
>
> My guess, and this is a wild guess, is that the test programs are doing
> something unusual with the dynamic loader that's not done by the mainstream
> OpenBabel programs.  Maybe they have some tricky code in there that (for
> convenience) tries to find the shared libraries even when they're not in
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and in doing so they cause something to go haywire.
>
> Another observation: the .so files that are installed don't have the same
> checksums as the .so files in the build/lib directory.  I thought that was
> odd, but there's probably a good reason.

If you use ldd on them, you will see that they link to different
libopenbabels. Probably the origin of the problem.

Anyway, I've fixed it in r4835 by setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
explicitly to the build lib dir for the tests. The Python tests still
fail (presumably a PATH issue rather than LD_LIBRARY_PATH) but that's
enough for now...

- Noel