Hi Chris,

It seems that the core devs have direct commit access to the repo.
This means that you can essentially keep working as before.

1. Create an a/c at github.com and send the name to Geoff to add to
the Open Babel project (note: only applies to core devs I guess)
2. Install TortoiseGit 1.8.1 from
http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/. Choose "Advanced context menu"
when installing Tortoise-Git and the defaults otherwise.
3. Also from http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/, follow the link to
install msysgit (TortoiseGit just calls msysgit at the command-line).
I installed Git-1.8.1.2-preview20130201.exe. I chose the option "Run
Git from the Windows command prompt" and the defaults otherwise.
4. Set up your ssh keys using plink for github. You'll have to google
this one; I have this done from before (thank goodness), and I don't
remember how to do it.
5. Right-click somewhere, and choose "Git Clone..." and
"https://github.com/openbabel/openbabel.git"; as the address
6. The rest is like TortoiseSVN except that after commiting locally,
you have to push to github. There's a push button in the commit dialog
as well as in the context menu. (Both TortoiseGit and msysgit add
different versions of the same options to the context menu. They can
be used interchangeably.)

- Noel