Looks like I inadvertently caused this issue.

Could it be because I added OBPairBool to generic.h, to go along with the
existing OBPairInteger and OBPairFloatingPoint?
https://github.com/openbabel/openbabel/pull/14/files#diff-ff91ae2aad7176f787e7689afd1f6ba4R145

I see that cifformat uses OBPairFloatingPoint fine without any issues. If
OBPairFloatingPoint and OBPairInteger are fine, it would be pretty
straightforward to just use OBPairInteger to store booleans, and get rid of
OBPairBool.

Otherwise what about just using "typedef OBPairTemplate<bool> CustomBool"
within the format itself, like the example in the Generic Data docs?
http://openbabel.org/dev-api/generic_data.shtml

Matt