Hello,
Just to add my 2c.

As an end-user/python/php dev:

   - removing obsolete/redundant code is always welcome
   - introducing Boost is quite heavy dependency, so you'd have to
   highlight the advantages to the community it will bring
   - i think that object serialization (for OBMol as a starter) would be a
   killer feature
   - The project should be developed under openbabel's name, otherwise
   people will be confused
   - I don't mid having additional bindings, especially that I'm probably
   only one to be using PHP bindings. I guess the question originated with
   Boost, and moving towards Boost.python? I think that SWIG extensions are
   desirable.

----
Pozdrawiam,  |  Best regards,
Maciek Wójcikowski