On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Nana Sakisaka <n.sakis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please understand that I'm not going to destroy the original project.
> I want to say a simple sentence:
> The C++ library should be updated.

Again I ask: why? I'm not trying to be difficult or critical. Rather, I
think this is a perfect topic for the community to discuss. You have a
fresh perspective, and clearly you have some ideas. Share them with us. We
can learn, and you can learn.

Projects like OpenBabel can be frustrating because there is a huge amount
of inertia. Some of us have been working for years on it, and require
stability and reliability. Others are at the cutting edge of new features
and want progress and change. Both points of view are important.

> If it's gonna conflict with the original culture, someone's gonna fork it.
> That's all. I think that I should keep a distance from the original
> OpenBabel and fork it as a C++ subproject.

If you're going to completely fork, then you'll lose most of the OpenBabel
community. If you're willing to do that, then you should seriously consider
alternatives. OpenBabel isn't the only code out there. For example, Tim
Vandermeersch wrote an entire new chemical toolkit called Hydrogen that
looks very promising. Tim is quite expert at modern C++, and his new
project doesn't carry the baggage of legacy code and a poorly defined
valance model. It's also available under a very liberal license, if memory
serves me. I haven't evaluated it enough to say more, but based on Tim's
work on OpenBabel, I'm sure it's an interesting project.

Craig