I had miss that in the source code, but if I get this right, writing extra
fields should
be even easier that I thought (although I suspect that a lot of internal
properties
shouldn't be written in the mol2 file).

In the meantime, I took a look at the Mol2 format standard [1] and I found that
I could
hijack many record types for my own purposes ("@<TRIPOS>NORMAL", "
@<TRIPOS>ROTATABLE_BOND" and "@<TRIPOS>RING_CLOSURE", to name a few).

Although, I'm not sure I've seen any of these mentioned in the OB source code.
If that's the case, this means that some work is needed in any case, in both
parsing and
writing.

For that, I'm wondering if it would be useful to support a generalized property
tag, i.e.:

   @<{PROPERTY_NAME}>
   (value) (value) (value) ...

another alternative could be:

   @<TRIPOS>{PROPERTY_NAME}
   (value) (value) (value) ...

but I see no clear advantage in that over the first one.
A real case example is the GOLD docking software, which adds properties to the
docking
output files in both SDF and Mol2 files.
The SDF standard supports arbitrary properties, while for Mol2 files they user
the first
example I wrote above.

Anyway, thanks for the help and the support in the discussion!

[1] http://www.tripos.com/data/support/mol2.pdf

--

   Stefano Forli, PhD

   Assistant Professor of Integrative