Hello,

It seems that one of the problems related to recognize correct atom types is
the conjugated rings which are not aromatic such as furan ring.
For example, if we use the original gaff.prm file in openbabel for furan, the
atom types are as following.

A T O M   T Y P E S

IDX     TYPE    RING
1       ca      AR
2       h4      NO
3       ca      AR
4       ha      NO
5       ca      AR
6       ha      NO
7       ca      AR
8       h4      NO
9       X       AR

As it is shown here, the ring is recognized as an aromatic ring and so the
carbons as “ca”.
However, based on the GAFF force field, C1 and C4 must be “cc” , C2 and C3 must
be “cd”.

Another problem is that oxygen (atom number 9) is not recognized at all.

My question is that which function or routine in the code recognizes aromatic
rings from non-aromatic rings?

Cheers,
Mohammad