Hi Dan,

Regarding (1) the relevant section in the docs is at
http://openbabel.org/docs/2.3.0/Fingerprints/fingerprints.html. I
think that the section on Similiarity Searching answers this question.

Question (2) is about searching for exact matches. Currently the only
way to do this is matching by canonical SMILES or by InChI, e.g. see
the section on the InChI descriptor at
http://openbabel.org/docs/2.3.0/Command-line_tools/babel.html#inchi-descriptor.
If you are doing multiple searches, I would use the substructure
search described at
http://openbabel.org/docs/2.3.0/Fingerprints/fingerprints.html to
extract a small set of potential exact matches and then search those
using the InChI descriptor.

I hope this answers your questions. I'm ccing to the openbabel-discuss
list where someone else might have a better idea.

Regards,
    Noel