On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:42 AM, Noel O'Boyle wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Regarding (1) the relevant section in the docs is at
> http://openbabel.org/docs/2.3.0/Fingerprints/fingerprints.html. I
> think that the section on Similiarity Searching answers this question.
>
> Question (2) is about searching for exact matches. Currently the only
> way to do this is matching by canonical SMILES or by InChI, e.g. see
> the section on the InChI descriptor at
> http://openbabel.org/docs/2.3.0/Command-line_tools/babel.html#inchi-descriptor
>
> .
> If you are doing multiple searches, I would use the substructure
> search described at
> http://openbabel.org/docs/2.3.0/Fingerprints/fingerprints.html to
> extract a small set of potential exact matches and then search those
> using the InChI descriptor.
>
> I hope this answers your questions. I'm ccing to the openbabel-discuss
> list where someone else might have a better idea.

Thanks for the info. I think I need to put together a few detailed
examples, but unfortunately I'll be busy for a few days. Anyway, I
think part of it is related to what we talked about in Cambridge: how
do we "clean up" structure representations to make sure we understand
how the tools will behave.

To give the list the context: At DTP we accept molecules for testing
in the Human Tumor Cell Line Screen (NCI-60) ; see
http://dtp.nci.nih.gov/docs/misc/common_files/submit_compounds.html
. Our biggest criterion for acceptance is structure novelty. As it
stands now the only way you can find out if a structure you are
submitting is novel to our program is to submit it and wait to hear
back from us. Our open compounds are freely available so you could set
a search through those, but about half our compounds are confidential,
so that doesn't completely solve the problem. I want to set up a web
service that will accept a structure and return the highest tanimoto
from all of our structures. That way submitters can check their
structures before submitting (or maybe even synthesizing) and not
waste time on a 2-3 day submission response turnaround. Any
suggestions regarding parameters (like which fp type) to use would be
appreciated.

DanZ

  *  Daniel Zaharevitz
  * Chief, Information Technology Branch