On 2012-10-07 18:35, Reinis Danne wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 11:20:16AM +0200, David van der Spoel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> when reading a gaussian output file the total charge is available and
>> that could be used to improve the bond order perception, alternatively
>> there could be a command line option to tell babel about the total charge.
>
> This is a known issue with formats which doesn't contain
> explicit formal charges. SDF and MOL files should work with
> charged heterocycles, and MOL2 format plugin was recently
> improved to better handle them.
>
> I might also look at it since I'm working with related code.
>

>> Related to this it would be great if one could turn off the proton
>> generation, since for many ions babel adds a proton where there
>> shouldn't be one (e.g. imidazolium and other ionic liquids, organic
>> cations).
>
> It shouldn't add Hs if there are explicit Hs in the structure
> already (unless explicitly asked). Do you have a case where it
> is not so?

Yes, this happens with gaussian files containing ions (which do have
info about the formal charge) but not with the corresponding pdb file.

% wget http://folding.bmc.uu.se/1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium-g4.log.gz
% babel -ig98
1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium/1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium-g4.log.gz  -oinchi
InChI=1S/C8H16N2/c1-3-4-5-10-7-6-9(2)8-10/h6-7H,3-5,8H2,1-2H3

% wget http://folding.bmc.uu.se/1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium.pdb
% babel -ipdb 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium.pdb
InChI=1S/C8H15N2/c1-3-4-5-10-7-6-9(2)8-10/h6-8H,3-5H2,1-2H3/q+1

> You have options to add or delete polar/nonpolar Hs, for details
> see:
> obabel -L ops
> e.g., strip all Hs:
> obabel input --DeletePolarH --DeleteNonPolarH -O output

I'm aware of these options, but that's not what I need.

> Reinis

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se