"...which you may not have intended..."
This was intended.

"...but should not be catastrophic."
This was done and worked many times until this problem came up.

"Possibly the environment variable BABEL_DATADIR has become corrupted."
I reset the environment variable BABEL_DATADIR.
This did not fix it.

"The latest OpenBabel release is 2.3.2."
I tried installing with:
OpenBabel2.3.2a_Windows_Installer

I was interested in running with the SMARTS pattern option with FP3.
This uses a "pattern.txt" file in a "data" directory.
There is no pattern file and no directory as there is for version 2.3.1:
OpenBabel-2.3.1\data

The instructions in the "Documentation" link on the
download page refers to instructions for version 2.3.1.