On 09/02/2013 03:14, JimJoyner wrote:
> "...which you may not have intended..."
> This was intended.
>
> "...but should not be catastrophic."
> This was done and worked many times until this problem came up.
>
> "Possibly the environment variable BABEL_DATADIR has become corrupted."
> I reset the environment variable BABEL_DATADIR.
> This did not fix it.
>
> "The latest OpenBabel release is 2.3.2."
> I tried installing with:
> OpenBabel2.3.2a_Windows_Installer
>
> I was interested in running with the SMARTS pattern option with FP3.
> This uses a "pattern.txt" file in a "data" directory.

Be aware that patterns.txt does not have a very full set of SMARTS
patterns and is there to provide a template for you to add your own.

> There is no pattern file and no directory as there is for version 2.3.1:
> OpenBabel-2.3.1\data

Since Kirk Simmons on this list also seems to be have trouble with
missing data on Windows XP, I dug out my old XP computer and although
the keyboard didn't work, I was able to install OpenBabel 2.3.2 and run
the GUI. Everything seemed to be there. The exe and dll files in
C:\Program Files/Openbabel-2.3.3 and the data, documentation and
examples are in (something like) C:\Application Data\Owner\OpenBabel-2.3.2
The data etc. folders are in different places in 2.3.0, 2.3.1 and 2.3.2
driven by the tightening of the permissions in versions of Windows later
than XP.

> The instructions in the "Documentation" link on the
> download page refers to instructions for version 2.3.1.

It's struggle keeping documentation up to date, but the user interface
for the Windows installer and indeed almost all of OpenBabel interface
does not change much between minor versions.

I'm afraid I still don't know why you are having difficulties.

Chris