> You're probably right, C also has to read therm, but other than recognizing
> the beginning and the end of the molecule it wouldn't do anything especially
> kekulization and bonding etc.

Actually no. Indeed this would be a useful "lazy" optimization, but is not
currently implemented this way. The C++ library does in fact read the file, but
the molecules go through the parsers, which means that things like
kekulization, bond perception, etc. are generally done.

I'm not sure why "f" and "l" aren't working for you. You'll need to do
something like

conv->AddOption("f", OBConversion::GENOPTIONS, number);

Hope that helps,
-Geoff