> What is everyones opinion of fixing setup.py to be standalone and work with
> pypi and pip?  I still think this would be the best path forward.

This would be great, see below.

> a. Compiling for Python should not require Cmake edits, especially with the
> excellent installers that are now available.

I think everyone agrees here.

> b. There are some non-intuitive issues with compiling boost libraries (a
> specific flag is needed) before the python bindings will compile.

Unless you have an old compiler, boost should not be needed (for shared_ptr).
What compiler are you using?

> c. openbabel.py pybel.py and _openbabel.so are put into the system library
> directory instead of into the python sitepackages directory. This is a pretty
> bad situation actually, because it means you have to (1) recognize this and
> (2) find them and (3) move them to an appropriate location. Reading online,
> it seems that this is a cmake problem. It only knows how to install things in
> one place.

I agree 110%. I *thought* a patch had been committed that fixed this.
Personally, I think the default should be to install into the site packages,
perhaps with a CMake flag for Linux packagers if it needs to go into the system
library paths at all.

> Basically, setup.py is not configured to work as a standalone package
> installer. It is probably fixable, and would greatly easy the installation.
> What do you guys think?

As I said, I thought there was a patch which had CMake call python distutils to
get the site packages directory. But certainly as a fallback, setup.py should
work.

Thanks,
-Geoff