Geoff Hutchison wrote
>> Indeed, we've tried the SDF and it is a good option. However, some small
>> ligands have covalent bonds with other small ligands and by using the SDF
>> format we won't able to detect it correctly.
>
> Can you give us some concrete examples of what you mean?
>
> -Geoff

Sure Geoff.

My first example is the Cellobiose (id CBI) that is a disaccharide.
Sometimes, this ligand is found represented as two glucoses (GLC). If you
want, you can see an example in the PDB 5A05
(http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/explore.do?structureId=5A05).

Another example is in attachment. This file was extracted from the PDB 1H4P
and it has 8 ligands.

lig_example.pdb <http://forums.openbabel.org/file/n4659042/lig_example.pdb>

If you open these examples in Pymol, for example, you'll see the ligands
covalently bonded.

In my work, I need to analyze the pharmacophore properties of the atoms. If
I use the SDF of only one ligand I'll not consider the covalent bonds, thus
this will not generate a properly analysis.

Thanks