Thank you so much David for the hint.

Now I checked the path of python3 by "which python3" and it gave me the path
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/bin/python3"
Then I changed the command to:
*cmake ../
-DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/bin/python3
-DPYTHON_BINDINGS=ON -DRUN_SWIG=ON*

and it worked. There was one problem that it installed open-babel to the
directory:
*/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/*

but  my all the other packages are installed to the following directory:
*/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages*

I never changed any path or anything. But fortunately I copied the files
from the installed path to the path of other packages and it is working now.

It would be great if you can suggest me a solution for my Windows laptop as
well as I tried but could not install it there. This mac is my office
computer! I posted a question here about it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42151301/how-do-i-install-openbabel-for-python-3-6-in-windows-10

The answer given there did not solve the problem. Now the release for
python3.6 has been released for windows, i installed using pip and it got
installed but it is still not working in python.

Regards,
Hashmi