Hi Enzo,

> Hello. I am working on setting up an osmoTRX based base station. Where I
> am in the US, between 902 and 928 MHz is part of the ISM spectrum, and
> unregulated. Therefore, I would like to configure my base station to use
> both an uplink and down link frequency within this range.

Being likewise located in USA, I have given much thought to the same
issue.

> However, none
> of the pre-existing ARFCN options have both the uplink and downlink
> frequencies within this band.

This situation holds because ARFCNs are defined by GSM specs, not by
Osmocom or any other FOSS community body, and there does not exist any
standard GSM band that puts both DL and UL in the 902 to 928 MHz range.

> Is it possible to manually shift the
> frequency used by the base station, or manually select the up/down
> frequencies so that both remain within this range?

The base station side is easy - on an SDR-based BTS we can do whatever
we like, just add the code to support the new unofficial pseudostandard
of our own invention.  The part that will bite is the phones - no
standard, unmodified GSM phone can ever be made to change its duplex
spacing; if the DL (transmitted by the BTS) is somewhere in the 925 to
928 MHz range, then the phone will transmit its UL in 880 to 883 MHz
range, obeying 45 MHz duplex spacing of the GSM900 standard.

<LAWBREAKING -- please skip this part if you don't like such>

One possibility is to be a naughty boy / naughty girl (we are talking
USA here, hence American English slang expressions ought to be OK) and
just let phones transmit at a law-breaking UL frequency while your BTS
(the thing you actually operate) transmits at an unlicensed frequency
in the ISM band.  For example, if you set your band to EGSM900 and set
your ARFCN to 975, your BTS will transmit its DL at 925.2 MHz - the
frequency on which you transmit is within the ISM band, so you are not
breaking laws with the equipment you actually operate and with your
continuously-transmitted signal.  Phones will transmit their UL at
880.2 MHz, which clashes with LTE Band 5 DL - but those are just
people's phones, not equipment which *you* operate, and their
transmissions are bursty, not continuous, hence much harder to catch.

It is also worth noting that LTE Band 5 (formerly GSM850, and simply
called "cellular" prior to that) is divvied up between carriers by FCC
in a peculiar way: in the DL direction, 869 to 880 MHz go to carrier A
and 880 to 890 MHz go to carrier B.  Thus if phones transmitting their
UL back to your semi-illegal pirate BTS transmit at 880.2 MHz, those
transmissions will typically fall in the guard band between the two
wideband LTE signals of the two carriers (typically AT&T and Verizon
in most areas), hence no actual interference with anyone's service
will occur most of the time.

</LAWBREAKING - end of potentially-problematic section>

Don't like this idea, want to be fully legal by putting both DL and UL
of your GSM cell into the 902 to 928 MHz range?  In that case would
you be willing to forego the ability to use standard unmodified GSM
phones and set up an almost-GSM cell that works only with phones whose
firmware you are able to modify?  If you are willing to limit your
operations to phones on which you modify the fw, then you are in luck:
we can pick frequencies such that only phone fw will need to be
modified, without changing physical hw of the same phones.  Choose
frequencies as follows:

* Put your DL somewhere in the 3 MHz sliver between 925 and 928 MHz.
This way you are within the ISM band, but also within the passband of
the SAW filter at the Rx input of standard phones with EGSM900 band
support.

* For the UL frequency, pick somewhere between 902 and 915 MHz - within
ISM band, but also within the range of frequencies which the phone's
Tx tract is designed to support.

ARFCNs: we as a community (if indeed there is a community of people
who desire the just-outlined hack) will have to come up with our own
numbering scheme, our own community pseudostandard.  Call it UGSM900
perhaps, with 'U' standing for unlicensed?

HTH,
Your naughty girl Mychaela

(read this post reply to the tune of Naughty Girl by Beyonce, 2003)