Hi Dave,

ulimit seems to be a shell function and, when I run it I get the message
"unlimited".

The option -v is not regognized and apropos does not show anything...

Any hint?

Thanks

| On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 03:26:09PM +0200, Pau wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > this is 5.3 GENERIC.MP#12 amd64 with 8G RAM, on a thinpad x220.
| >
| > I have continuous firefox crashes.
| >
| > As soon as I have more than 2-3 tabs open, it looks as if firefox
| > consumed a lot of memory, which leads to a freeze in firefox and then
| > a crash. I have blocking pop up enabled and only an addon, adblock. In
| > spite of the lack of ads and popping up windows, the cpu goes up to
| > ~77% and that makes firefox crash.
| >
| > I have observed a similar behaviour with seamoneky and midori, which
| > might be normal, since they are based on gecko.
| >
| > The question is whether this is normal or not, and what to do. I
| > remember reading something related to crashes on firefox and how to
| > avoid that by creating another profile after I installed firefox, but
| > I do not know where to find that information anymore.
| >
| > firefox3.6 seems to behave better, but I am wondering about security.
| > It's a rather old version (current one is 21). Why is 3.6 kept and are
| > any security holes been taken care of?
|
| It's memory usage... you're not exhausting your machine's memory,
| just the user's allocation.  Try jacking it up with ulimit.
| I don't have an Open machine powered on right now (Shock! Awe!)
| but I think you want to do something like
|
|       ulimit -v 0
|
| That assumes that 0 = "no limit".  Then watch firefox with ps or top.
| It's such a *pig*.
|
| There is probably somewhere in /etc that you need to go to set this
| up, I fergit now.
|
| Dave

MPI Grav. Physics (Albert Einstein Inst.) * +49-331-567-{tel:7306,fax:7298}
Am Muehlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam * http://members.aei.mpg.de/amaro-seoane