On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 05:13:54PM +0200, Pau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to connect with iwn0 to a wpa2 psk net with a password of 4
> digits. It works on my mobile, from which I am writing this.
>
> ifconfig complains that the passphrase should be between 8 and 63
> characters.....

WPA/WPA2 Pre-shared key (PSK) mode is defined in IEEE 802.11i-2004.  That
specification *recommends* using 8 6o 63 ASCII-encoded characters and
the HMAC-SHA-1 pseudorandom function PBKDF2 to derive encryption keys.

See: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11i-2004.pdf

It appears you have equipment that does not abide by this recommendation.

If you need to pad with spaces, you might try using quotes.  However, a short
PSK password is not recommended.  "A key generated from a passphrase of less
than about 20 characters is unlikely to deter attacks." [1] "...against
current brute-strength attacks, 96 bits SHOULD be adequate." [2]

[1] http://wifinetnews.com/archives/002452.html
[2] Ibid.