On 2014-09-05 10:45, kbenjamin Coplon wrote:
Hi, I have an alix board running openbsd 5.5 that I've been using as a
router for the past few months.  It's worked great until yesterday
morning when it suddenly stopped connecting to the modem.
I spent yesterday messing with the settings which may have made the
problem worse :P

It sends a few dhcpdiscover requests and then gives up.
The LAN works fine and other devices can connect to the modem just great

here is dmesg and netstat -rn  ...

Unfortunately, the netstat -rn doesn't really tell me anything
other than vr1 is in use.  netstat -ivn is used by /etc/daily reports,
and would at least show error counts.

There are three vr(4) NICs in your Alix box (looks like an alix2d3), so
switching from vr1 to one of the other two NICs might solve
your problem if the vr1 NIC is the point of failure.  And if the
cable has failed, you'll just move your problem to a different
NIC.  You might also consider swapping ports at the remote end, in the
event there is a port failure on your outboard device (the modem you
mentioned.)

You are using vether, but its entirely unclear why.  That virtual
NIC was developed to solve a very specific problem, which most
people won't ever have.  See:

http://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2010_vether/index.html