On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Josh Grosse wrote:

This assumes that the hardware is working and there is enough
of the OS still running to be able to crash().

Random reboots without a crash() most commonly are caused by hardware
problems.  While it is possible to have a software root cause, the
odds of a hardware problem are much higher.

Faulty memory is common. They have lifetime warranty, but they don't test them at manufacture time because it's cheaper to give the customer another one if one fails.

Try memtest86.com. I test every new PC I build with it, and it's one of the first troubleshooting tools I use when hardware might be the issue. As was mentioned, hardware is your most likely issue.

--
Jim Barchuk
j...@jbarchuk.com