> Besides, the feature is for major extensions to
> FreeCard -- not everyone rewriting the syntax
> because they can.

Alain: Agreed.

> That's why I think we should hide it a bit.

Alain: From unsuspecting newbies that could do damage,
I guess. But not from anyone in this group, eh!

> If it's obvious we won't be able to
> keep people from using it.

Alain: We might want to be somewhat liberal with it
because it will allow scripters/fc-users like myself
to join in on the development of FreeCard/FreeScript.
There are very few among us that are C/C++
programmers, so the fewer C/C++ requirements the
better, in terms of attracting new talent to the
'cause'.

> OTOH if it's a config block that can only be edited
> with a special, separately available editor stack...

Alain: Sounds like my syntax-editing stack-based
front-end idea. Or am I just rambling ........

> Using the linker would have to be an optional, not
> recommended for novices feature.

Alain: Agreed.

> Just make it a separate stack then, like CompileIt.

Alain: Do you hear music too ?  ;-)

> This way advanced users can get this from an
> "unsupported goodies" folder if they really want
> to do it. But others would just use the vanilla
> version.

Alain: Perfect!

> Finally, I don't see a reason why we should put
> so much work into a product that does what
> every half-baked programmer can do as well.

Alain: My scripting style, techniques, methodology,
and so on, have become sophisticated and efficient
over the years. I have also taken several courses in
traditional programming languages: GW-BASIC, COBOL,
Pascal, Turing, etc. And yet I still face a seemingly
insurmountable obstacle: the learning-curve of C/C++.
Sure, with some time, effort, some reading, a
community-college course,  an investment in the
toolset, etc ... I could learn yet another traditional
programming language ... (sigh).
So much changes, yet so little evolves!

> This could be a value-added service.

Alain: Don't forget who we are, and where we came
from. I have been scripting since 1987. Everyone in
our group and in the HC-list are biased towards
HyperTalk. It is what we know. It is what we want. We
don't want to become 'real' programmers. We want to do
extraordinary things with our computers. Is FreeCard
going to turn its back on all of these people? Or are
we going to beef up our development ranks with
developers that are unfamiliar with C/C++ ?

Alain: Sorry for being such a PITA.  :(