John,

        I guess you must've been using IE.   You may not implement your
applet contained in Jars in IE. You may only do so if you convert this JAR
to CAB file and perform some digital signing of the CABs.

    See http://www.microsoft.com/java/security/default.htm

    In short, what need to do to implement card reading applet are the
following:

    1. To create your applet.
    2. To bundle it in a CAB file using CABARC (Microsoft's version of JAR)
    3. To create a certificate (or buy one) and to SIGN the CAB using the
certificate
    4. To use the examples found in
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q179652 on
how to deploy the signed object in IE.

    This is just how sick Microsoft could get.

    To those who already know it, please feel free to modify any errors you
may have found in this posting, for common benefit.

Regards,

Harley