Noah, All, evolution gives humans and other living things many pre-canned
functions like edge detectors in the eye. In vision system some people add
the early edge detectors and some ask the blank slate to figure everything
out for itself from scratch. My preference is to give the system as much of
a leg up as possible. Later when we have functioning system we can explore
the growth from blank slate question.

Self and not-self is a very early learning. I am that which I can control
the movement of. The other is the warm, soft, and giving entity (Mom and
Dad). The other becomes the family. Then strangers are discerned and
apparently rated as dangerous instinctively, then learned as safe and
not-safe strangers.

If we want to be experimental psychologists we can force the system to
learn these early lesson from scratch. If we want a functioning embodied
conversationalist in a reasonable amount of time then let's give it a head
start. Both are valid pursuits. We have to pick one to start with.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/7eacea5d-a872-4941-a4de-ba0af793e96e%40googlegroups.com.