When an Atom is used by a cognitive process its STI gets boosted
("stimulated"), along with (to a much lesser degree) its LTI value

The ECAN module has an importance-spreading agent that spreads STI and
LTI values around along the links in the Atomspace

That's what's happening now; fancier methods of adjusting STI and LTI
using predictive modeling have been thought through but not
implemented/tested...

Low LTI can cause something get saved to disk, not necessarily deleted
forever ... knowledge can be retrieved from disk without being
relearned..

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CACYTDBfiEwBs0%2BsNooyNdK1QY9%3DrY-Sf%3Duk%2Bkb7N%2BF%3DQHcX8QQ%40mail.gmail.com.