Hi Nil,

Currently, as you probably already understand, the (only?) way to match
> values is to resort to grounded schemata.

Conceptually, this might be ok. We have conscious processes implemented in
a self-reflective Atomese and operating over atoms, and subconscious
processes operating over values in a native code. However, what we lack in
this case is meta-computations: specialization of a conscious
decision-making w.r.t. some specific task should yield its efficient
implementation in a native code (or trained DNNs). What we also lack is a
general API to connect these conscious and subconscious processes.

For similar reasons PLN formulas are programmed with grounded schemata. A
> way to address that would be to complement Atomese with links encoding
> operators to access and modify values, GetValueLink, etc. This wouldn't
> make the pattern matcher more efficient (initially), but at least it would
> allow OpenCog to reason about values.

What do you suppose GetValueLink to do?
Do you mean that this link is needed for Pattern Matcher to explicitly know
that we want to apply TimesLink, etc. to Values? I guess, it makes sense,
although this might be not too efficient, indeed.

-- Alexey

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CABpRrhzcMx%2B4D93PEZ9KEa9x%2B2T%2B-%3DEzoAUidQg4gf%2Bj3UisYg%40mail.gmail.com.