Hi Ben,

> I think it's better, if possible, to figure out a way to suitably
> modify the core PM rather than using a separate repo ...
>
> However, I guess the PM tweaks would need to be done someone on your team,
> as
> Linas and Nil probably are too busy and we don't have a lot of others
> who can rapidly perform such changes...
>
> I would personally be in favor of overloading stuff like TimesLink in
> order to apply to both
> NumberNodes and Values, because it seems to me that the Atom/Value
> distinction is more of
> an efficiency-driven implementation distinction rather than a
> fundamental mathematical/conceptual distinction...
>
> Nil and Linas should be consulted on this stuff, but at this point you
> are also in the exalted
> "inner circle" with foundational input on these OpenCog-architecture
> issues...

Got this.

> If needed we could also introduce some sort of entity that is between
> a Value and an Atom in some sense -- i.e. we could introduce some sort of
> TensorValue entity that
>
> 1) Perhaps, knows what links to it (like an Atom but unlike a Value)
>
> 2) has an internal tensor that is mutable
>
> There is nothing prohibiting one from building something like this
> into Atomspace,
> though obviously not breaking various mechanisms would require some care...

OK, we will think about this.

> > Exactly. Probabilistic logic is a way to make inference over
> probabilistic
> > programs much more efficient. I have specific examples for this in mind.
>
> It will be good to hear the examples when you have time...

Sure. I'm traveling now, and I'll have a talk on a conference soon. After
this, I will have time to go into detail

> For instance, I like to think about evolutionary programming (e.g.
> MOSES) as a tool for learning procedural knowledge, but OTOH our main
> use of this tool right now is for learning classification rules.  Now
> a program embodying a classification rule is, in a sense, a "procedure
> for performing the classification" ... but then in this sense, every
> logical inference is also a cognitive procedure ;p

I have also an idea about using evolutionary programming for training
combined Atomese/DNN models (e.g. for SynerGAN-ish models or VQA)...

-- Alexey

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/CABpRrhzQdwWp-gPQ6mGEjyF6WJpax1ya0MJePgQD6scZbk6aYQ%40mail.gmail.com.