Since I have limited experience with c/c++, but some ability to
transliterate other programs to Java, I decided to build a Java version of
AtomSpace solely to better understand how AtomSpace is supposed to work.
The project is far from functional but already is helping me understand
this platform. The code is at
https://github.com/KnowledgeGarden/krr-explorer

My ambition might be similar to that of the OpenCog community, but I'll
explain a few bits.
The project is now named OpenSherlock (started life as SolrSherlock but
migrated away from Solr in other directions). Fundamentally, the object
which is AtomSpace in OpenSherlock is a topic map; working on a PhD
project, I asked the question; could a topic map learn to and by reading?
After defending the thesis proposal, I crafted a topic map simulator which,
in fact, performed far better than expected, so that grew up to be
OpenSherlock.

An emerging explanation of that project is taking shape in this early draft
manuscript:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kj9fe96srHhA5GOscYglR5XDLy8jEIHdWCZVNGMSXeI/edit?usp=sharing

I chose to explore AtomSpace because OpenSherlock was first inspired by
LinkGrammar; it is called *anticipatory* for a reason.
AtomSpace, for me, is like Disneyland; so much to explore, so little time.

Cheers,
-Jack

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opencog/cfd6efd1-ee13-42e3-ab31-e718abddeb79%40googlegroups.com.