On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 3:46 AM Reach Me <reach...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure it's a mixed blessing, I see your name attached to so many
> things, which is amazing. It does probably also keep you busy, So I can
> appreciate the value of your time.

Thanks!  Yes, it keeps me busy, but I enjoy what I do, even if I sometimes
complain about it!

> Ultimately, I'm very interested in AGI. However I'm about to have twins
> and my background is more in systems administration than mathematics, I'm
> trying to piece together what I can from what I read and watch. I feel for
> now and the foreseeable future that I'm going to be like a person watching
> cooking shows at home and trying recipes to build practical skills, but in
> the realm of AI/ML. I do think that Symbolic or Nuero-symbolic approaches
> are going to be a more useful path than the traditional ML that is packaged
> in so many classes today. Because the breakthroughs in Symbolic AI from the
> 80's and Neuro-symbolic approaches of today aren't really packaged for
> step-wise learning in modern formats, My thinking was that a "chatbot"
> would show me practical hands-on examples. I was hoping to tinker with
> basic NLP, scheme, truth tables, natural language logic word problems,
> atomspace/knowledge graph to store info, an extensible example of inference
> and usage of PLN/URE.

Cool! Yes, you should definitely explore and play around with different
pieces/parts. Get familiar with the terrain, the landscape, what's where.

> I've been through the hands-on with Opencog wiki and the examples there
> are simplistic enough to make work, but harder to abstract to more
> complicated scenarios.
> Like my hope was to say turn this sentence/inquiry into a representation
> in atomspace, and then try to infer the answer:
> "Five people were eating apples, A finished before B, but behind C. D
> finished before E, but behind B. What was the finishing order?"

You are not the only one with such a hope, and there's a grand lesson that
has been learned by those who have attempted this.  The lesson is basically
this: yes, you can do this, you can make it work, but the result is always
kludgy and fragile. Change the sentence slightly, it doesn't work. Change
the question, it doesn't work. There are thousands, tens of thousands,
millions of questions: are you going to hand-write code to deal with each
variation? What if instead the question is: "An apple grows on a tree, the
Sun grows in the sky;  when will you be home for dinner?" Are you expecting
a factual answer, or is this poetry meant to make you smile and reflect?
Are you ready to write poetry software?

So there are two directions. One is to go ahead and build such a system,
anyway. Among other things, it can be commercially valuable. For example,
Siri, Alexa are this kind of system: hand-crafted, carefully constructed by
an army of developers.  It works, and people love it. I guess it would be
pretty cool to build an open-source version of these.  But it won't be me:
been there, done that; I've glimpsed the issues and understand that it is
not a path to AGI.

The other direction, the one I'm on, is to ask "what does it take to learn
everything, from scratch?"  That's certainly the path that the DL/NN people
took, and they've obtained truly remarkable results. And are sure to obtain
more, although I sense a roadblock, a subtlety on that path.  Myself, I'm
pursuing a variant: a statistical approach that explicitly involves
symbols. At this time, it's very far from a chatbot.  But it's very
promising. I really like how it's going.

> I think the vision/avatar/cloudcog/conversational dialog initiatives are
all wonderful things, but I think they may be far beyond my grasp at this
stage.

Sure. Well, improve your grasp!  Go and build a chatbot, try to slot the
pieces together. It's all good, it's not a waste of time

I'm open to learning resource suggestions if anyone has some, I'm currently
> starting to read "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach" by Norvig and
> "The Scheme Programming Language" by Dybvig.

Scheme is weird. It makes the scales fall from your eyes.  Try SICP --
"Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" Reading it is like, ok,
ok, ok, ... wait, what?

Also, read and grok "The Lisp Curse"
http://www.winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html  ... and then go
ahead and use it anyway. ... and collaborate!

--linas