On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 12:32, John R. Cary wrote:
> Are there any estimates for the amount of time (developer-months)
> that would be required for such a task?  (I suppose one could
> ask - how much time went into the development of the Motif
> GUI?)
I don't think anyone has ever tried publicly to scope out a port.
I imagine the development of the existing GUI took on the order of 10
developer-years.

You might check out documentation for DXLink.
file:///usr/local/dx/html/pages/progu084.htm#HDRDXLINK
It allows the use of your own GUI with Data Explorer
instead of the existing GUI.

Martin

p.s.

The existing GUI passes nets to the exec through a socket (usually port
1900).

Images are rendered into an off-screen X Window and blt-ed into the
GUI's window via XCopyArea()... in the case of software rendering.
When OpenGL is in use, the exec maps an OpenGL window on top of one
of the GUI's X windows.

...well usually.  There are other modes of operation.  See documentation
of tools with names that begin with "Supervise".