Thomas Beale wrote:
> Tim Churches wrote:
>> Where can I read about that evidence and the results of that testing,
>> Thomas? That was my point. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places? I
>>   
> Tim,
> 
> you are asking for papers about systems that have been fully engineered, 
> deployed, and run long enough to gather statistics on. Given that the 
> effort started (in earnest) about 5 years ago, these clearly won't be 
> available just yet, although I expect to see independent validations of 
> performance and volume in actual deployment this calendar year.

OK, that's fair enough, and I wasn't intending any criticism of the pace
- these things do indeed take time. I  was merely pointing out (or
rather agreeing with David More's point) that a push for finalised ISO
and other standards for openEHR implementations does seem a bit
premature in the absence of such documented real-world experience of
successful use.

Or am I just being overly pernickety?

> (actually, I would like to see similar papers about similar / competing 
> systems ...)

Yes indeed. But two (or more) wrongs (or absences of evidence) don't
make a right. My view is that the practice of health informatics needs,
desperately, to become evidence-based, otherwise we will continue to see
hundreds of millions or billions of dollars being poured into the
deployment of health information systems based on what is in the sales
brochure, or based on tender responses, which tend to be just more
elaborate versions of the sales brochures.

No government would ever dream of subsidising the cost of a new
pharmaceutical unless there was good evidence that the drug offered
real-world benefits over existing drugs of the same type. (Actually they
would, but I am sure you get my point).

Tim C

_______________________________________________
openEHR-clinical mailing list
openEHR-clinical at openehr.org
http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/mailman/listinfo/openehr-clinical



Reply via email to