Hello!
Just some experience on update cycle frequencies, as they have
stabilised over years of evolution in organisations that successfully
survived the challenge of large scale implementation among many
countries, companies and healthcare organisations:

- IHE has a strict yearly update cycle that works.
- The Continua Health Alliance is now closing in on a strict yearly (or
was it twice a year?) cycle.
- The Austrian  insurance card system (15000 GPs, 100 or so hospitals,
about 100 vendors) updates twice a year on average, and everybody is happy.

An attempt on the mechanisms of the "fittest" update frequency might
look as follows:
Anything that is faster than twice per year: vendors and care
organisations will have no chance to implement.
Anything that is slower than once per year will not meet clinical
requirements fast enough.

Anything that is in some kind of stable synchrony to the calendar year
helps:
"Oh it is January, we can throw in new requirements and start discussing."
"Oh it is August, now let us look at the new specs/archetypes and start
implementing."

Greetings from Vienna,
Stefan Sauermann

Acting Program Director
Biomedical Engineering Sciences (Master)

University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien
Hoechstaedtplatz 5, 1200 Vienna, Austria
P: +43 1 333 40 77 - 988
M: +43 664 6192555
E: stefan.sauermann at technikum-wien.at

I: www.technikum-wien.at/mbe