Hi Athanassios, 

re 4b of your issues list you can take a look at our project which is open 
source. It is a .Net desktop app for endoscopy reporting. Not a full EHR 
application but may give you an idea about data model, binding and especially 
GUI design which we followed MVC approach.

http://gastros.codeplex.org


It uses open source .Net openEHR RM and AM which has recently been contributed 
by Ocean Informatics.

Here are two short papers describing in detail our implementation (you can 
download both from project website).

- Atalag K, Yang HY, Warren J. On the maintainability of openEHR based health 
information systems - an evaluation study in endoscopy. In: Proceedings of the 
18th Annual Health Informatics Conference, HIC 2010. Melbourne, Australia: 
HISA; 2010 p. 1-5??

- Atalag K, Yang HY. From openEHR Domain Models to Advanced User Interfaces: a 
Case Study in Endoscopy. Wellington: 2010?

That said if you are looking at more generic implementations of openEHR I 
suggest that you look into Opereffa project which is a reference implementation 
framework and also the Java reference implementation.

http://www.openehr.org/projects/opereffa.html

http://www.openehr.org/openehr/projects/java.html



Hope this helps...Please do not hesitate to ask further questions.

Cheers,

-koray

From: openehr-clinical-bounces at openehr.org 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Athanassios I. 
Hatzis, PhD
Sent: Thursday, 17 March 2011 9:09 p.m.
To: 'For openEHR clinical discussions'
Cc: 'Openehr-Technical'
Subject: RE: openEHR future directions

Hi Thomas,
I read your email and I would like to comment on the three main topics you 
touched. First I believe that people in openEHR project have contributed a lot 
in all three areas of health informatics as you mentioned in your email and 
congratulations to all for leading innovative work. Nevertheless in my opinion 
what makes openEHR to excel in the domain of health informatics and where I 
certainly place my bet for the future is the design of archetypes and 
especially templates. This is THE bridge between health professionals and 
software developers. You can find tons of specifications from all the 
organizations you referred to and you can also find a lot of open source 
software tools and applications in the health domain but the simplicity of 
archetypes and templates and the tools to design them is unique in your 
project. Nevertheless the last two years I have been pondering a lot on the 
state of the art regarding the design of graphical user interfaces, the design 
of the data model and the trend to support distributed systems with web 
services. This is certainly not the place to get into great depth about the 
technical details on all these but I am more than happy to present you my 
research plan and perhaps you can provide me with answers or directions on the 
OPEN design principles that you followed in your project in order to cope with 
the following issues:
?
1. Data model (I am referring to your UML RM model) - Archetypes and templates
a. What database model are you using for the permanent storage of your 
entities, is that implemented on a popular DBMS, is it open ?
b. How do you connect the database model with the programming data model and 
your ADL structures, what kind of OR mapping are you using
c. Why are you using ADL and not standard XML-XSD to describe your archetypes, 
templates ?
d. Have you explored the path on how your knowledge representation is linked to 
popular W3 technologies such as ontology, linked data, RDFs, especially the 
application of these on media information management ?
?
2. Design of user interfaces, how is openEHR linked to the following
a. What principle you follow when you bind your data to the GUI component ?
b. Is there a particular model you are following on the design of applications 
(e.g. MVC ?)
c. Have you considered to support popular document formats such as Office Open 
XML and Open Document Format ?
d. How easy is it for a developer to embody openEHR technology with popular 
frameworks (Adobe Flex, Microsoft .NET) ?
?
4. Distributed systems and services
a. Considering the major acceptance of the standard clinical documents (CCR, 
CDA) in the health domain and the impact they have on the interchange of data 
information, how do you match or implement those in openEHR ?
b. Is there an open demo of a complete prototype that one can explore to see 
openEHR in action (common scenario includes a clinic with doctors and patients 
where the user can explore health records for each one of them as well as 
services provided by the system) ?
?
I am sure that you have explored all these but I think it makes sense to see 
how exactly openEHR is going to fit with the big trends of information 
technology (i.e. databases, user interface modeling, web services - semantic 
web).
?
Best luck with your efforts 
?
Athanassios Hatzis
http://medilig.org
http://athanassios.gr

PS: I do not read the technical list of openEHR as I do not have the time to 
get into great depth of details for openEHR implementation. But I am very keen 
on the architecture design principles and plans you have for the future. 



Reply via email to