Hi, we had quite a few papers recently about ontological aspects of clinical 
information models.
I'd be quite interested to hear from these authors - it'd be a great 
contribution. I really think we need to merry Semantic Web / Linked Open Data 
and openEHR approaches.

Cheers,

-koray

From: openEHR-clinical [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of Thomas Beale
Sent: Friday, 3 April 2015 2:30 a.m.
To: openehr-clinical at lists.openehr.org
Subject: Re: one-to-many term bindings in archetypes


oops - he did - but I missed in the formatting that he was being properly 
precise (and I can't even claim ignorance, I know the syntax well, I've been 
one of the reviewers of the drafts over the years).

So this puts a different cast on the question.

One of the things I believe we most urgently need to do in the ontology / 
terminology area is to actually establish an ontology whose concepts correspond 
to each archetype as a whole, and whose english-language mnemonic names are 
understood to be the short names we use in the archetype identifiers (i.e. 
things like 'apgar_score'). As mentioned in the Knowledge Artefact 
Identification 
<http://www.openehr.org/releases/trunk/architecture/am/knowledge_id_system.pdf> 
document, this ontology could potentially be situated under a new version of 
IAO<http://www.ontobee.org/browser/rdf.php?o=IAO&iri=http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/IAO_0000027>.
 Note that all archetypes in openEHR (and I would argue in health) are 
information objects _about_ some X, where X is some ontological entity. I.e. 
the general epistemic X IS-ABOUT ontological X relation.

In this sense, 'blood_pressure' doesn't mean blood pressure in the real world, 
it means 'result of observation of blood pressure'.

Things like Apgar are tricky because they are a first order information item, 
even in the real world. So the Apgar_result archetype isn't really 'about' 
Apgar result in the same sense. It's 'about' the health status of a newborn. 
I'm not sure what the ontologist's view of this is...

- thomas

On 02/04/2015 14:05, Erik Sundvall wrote:
Hi!

I think Daniel used the << operator in the example without explaining it.

Page 16 in the document that Mikael recommended says:
"<< A" Either the compositional grammar expression A or an expression that is a 
valid subtype of it SHALL be used.

Now read Daniel's message again. I do not think he by...

OBSERVATION --> term-bind to <<386053000 | evaluation procedure (procedure) |

...means that we should bind the general OBSERVATION class to "evaluation 
procedure", but rather that specific observation-archetypes' root nodes often 
could be bound to specific children/descendants of "evaluation procedure".

In the same way regarding...

ELEMENT --> term-bind to <<363787002 | observable entity (observable entity) |

I interpret this suggestion as: When looking for suitable bindings to ELEMENTS 
within OBSERVATIONs it might be wise to primarily look among 
children/descendants of "observable entity".

Am I guessing right? I also guess this should be recommendations rather than 
strict rules.

Daniel, where do such discussions within CIMI occur? Is there any publicly 
readable discussion or document?

A set of such recommendations would be useful during the current archetype 
sprint and creation of new archetypes, and I believe that IHTSDO does not mind 
answering specific questions during creation of such a set of recommendations 
or questions occurring when applying them. In a related off-list discussion in 
October 2014, Linda Bird at IHTSDO said:

"It's great to hear that the openEHR community is looking to perform SNOMED CT 
terminology bindings to a library of archetypes. While we would be happy to 
offer advice, the IHTSDO does not have the resources to perform or fund this 
work. The CIMI models (as mentioned by Tom) however can be used as an example 
of a possible SNOMED CT binding approach."

...and...

"You can send queries to info at ihtsdo.org<mailto:info at ihtsdo.org> and they 
will be redirected to the appropriate person. Terminology binding questions, 
however, are likely to be redirected to me."

So after looking at what CIMI is doing in this area we should probably start 
drafting a recommendation document. Perhaps it could be a joint effort with 
CIMI?


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://lists.openehr.org/pipermail/openehr-clinical_lists.openehr.org/attachments/20150403/6098723c/attachment-0001.html>

Reply via email to