Hi all,  

Great references and food discussion!

But, I must admit that I do not believe in any universal truths and I do 
distrust anyone assuming to have one. So the point should be imho to question 
if BFO is useful?  definitely, but universal truth???? No way.!
Is use of ontology necessary for learning about reality? Of course. And can it 
help with information modeling as abstraction of reality ?  That point was made 
in the on this list very heavily critiqued paper by Blobel, Brochhausen and 
myself a year ago. It is good to see the OpenEHR community look different and 
more positively at this aspect of two level modeling[1].

[1] 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1386505613002013


Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards, 

 
dr. William T.F. Goossen


directeur Results 4 Care B.V.
De Stinse 15
3823 VM Amersfoort
the Netherlands

telefoon +31654614458

e-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]
skype: williamgoossenmobiel
kamer van koophandel 32133713
http://www.results4care.nl 
http://www.results4care.eu 
http://results4care.wikispaces.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/company/711047
http://results4care.wikispaces.com/3.+Cursussen+Nederlands

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: "[email protected]" 
<[email protected]>
Verzonden: ‎19-‎9-‎2015 18:00
Aan: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Onderwerp: openEHR-clinical Digest, Vol 41, Issue 8

Send openEHR-clinical mailing list submissions to
        [email protected]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        
http://lists.openehr.org/mailman/listinfo/openehr-clinical_lists.openehr.org

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [email protected]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [email protected]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of openEHR-clinical digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. RE: book recommendation - basic formal ontology (BFO) for
      biomedicine (Koray Atalag)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:17:55 +0000
From: Koray Atalag <[email protected]>
To: For openEHR clinical discussions
        <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: book recommendation - basic formal ontology (BFO) for
        biomedicine
Message-ID:
        <b1ce708e5c614f4bb990e32cc5f03ad4dbf45...@uxcn10-6.uoa.auckland.ac.nz>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

I think within the timeframe stated by Tom we will definitely see these two 
worlds coming closer and producing some tangible benefits. Did you all notice 
an increase in research in this area these days? Just my quick 2 cents....still 
on travel



Cheers,



-koray







________________________________
From: openEHR-clinical [[email protected]] on behalf 
of Thomas Beale [[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 September 2015 7:14 p.m.
To: For openEHR clinical discussions
Subject: Re: book recommendation - basic formal ontology (BFO) for biomedicine


Daniel,

nice observations and thanks for the references - I had intended to circulate 
the first one as well, at some point. For my part, I think ontology will become 
useful in information modelling precisely for the reason that it offers ways of 
representing distinctions between real world referents and the things that 
refer to them (information entities). In other words, to help the IT sector 
understand 'how to model'. Historically it has been completely confused (I 
would go so far as to say not even conscious) of the difference between real 
world entities and events and the information items that document them.

With no understanding of the in-principle divide between ontological and 
epistemological points of view (or equivalently of Popper's 3 worlds), 
information modelling can't possibly achieve much clarity or computability.

So in agreeing with you, I would add that ontology-thinking is not a recipe for 
how to do information modelling, but it is useful for understanding what not to 
express in information models - mind-independent truths.

- thomas

On 08/09/2015 01:23, Daniel Karlsson wrote:
Dear All,

agree partly with Ian's assessment, i.e. about the messiness. While I much 
appreciate what I have read, and I've had much help from earlier texts from the 
authors (as I'm sure I will from this book), there is in the medical 
informatics community a widespread belief that the position held by (some part 
of) the BFO community is undisputed and sort-of final. There are still issues 
which requires careful consideration, especially regarding information 
artefacts and the is-about relationship [1, 2], but also about e.g. 
dispositions [3], and functions [4].

Additionally, while ontologies deal with what is universally true, it is my 
belief that universal truth takes, and should take, the back seat compared to 
user needs and practicality in information modelling. First-world (using 
Popper's ontology [5]) ontologies are outcomes of our understanding of the 
physical world and evolve as science evolves (at least good ones). Information 
models and other second-third-world ontologies are always constructs and, like 
with fictional characters, nothing can be discovered by examining those models 
in addition to what has been explicitly stated. For this reason, ontology as a 
method isn't as helpful for information modellers as it is for others.

1. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266021648_An_Ontological_Analysis_of_Reference_in_Health_Record_Statements

2. http://www.amazon.com/Aboutness-Carl-G-Hempel-Lecture/dp/0691144958

3. http://www.amazon.com/Dispositions-Stephen-Mumford/dp/0199259828

4. 
http://www.amazon.com/Functions-Biological-Artificial-Worlds-Philosophical/dp/026211321X

5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popper%27s_three_worlds

/Daniel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://lists.openehr.org/pipermail/openehr-clinical_lists.openehr.org/attachments/20150919/b15e5a75/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
openEHR-clinical mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openehr.org/mailman/listinfo/openehr-clinical_lists.openehr.org

------------------------------

End of openEHR-clinical Digest, Vol 41, Issue 8
***********************************************
_______________________________________________
openEHR-clinical mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openehr.org/mailman/listinfo/openehr-clinical_lists.openehr.org

Reply via email to