On 21-06-17 10:19, Pablo Pazos wrote:
Hi Bert, see below

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 4:21 AM, Bert Verhees <bert.verh...@rosa.nl <mailto:bert.verh...@rosa.nl>> wrote:

    Hi Pablo, I did it a few years ago, just dumped not-current
    versions in a slow XML database, because, in normal cases they are
    never queried, and when they need to be queried, there can always
    be found a faster solution.

    But of course, this was a linear version system. ExistDB supports
    distributed versioning on XML out of the box. And you can also use
    a normal, not OpenEHR, version system like Git or VCL.

    But when looking at how OpenEHR works, is there ever need of
    merging? Do people edit concurrently same datasets? I think they
    are they always working on new versions of datasets, there is only
    one exception, that is the persistent Composition, there could
    occur merging problems.

The openEHR versioning mechanism is like Git. The problem I see with this approach is that real users don't want to deal with that level of complexity just to track changes in a distributed way. openEHR allows branching, so if there is no merging, each user can be working on a different branch, seeing just part of the data. Merging is complex, but that is needed only if branching is allowed, so the problem is really branching.

Merging and keeping the data within the constraints of the archetypes is nearly impossible to do automated. Because, what do you do when person A adds an item to a structure and at the same moment person B adds an item to the same structure, but in the archetype is defined that in that specific structure only one item is allowed.

There you have the problem, inconsistent data because of merging.

I agree with you that distributed versioning is not feasible, even, sometimes, dangerous. It would be good to remove it from the specs.

Bert