Gerard

The idea in messaging usually is that there is an attribute that changes the
meaning of an entry from an intention to an action. This works for a few
things like - I am going to do these tests - or write this letter - to I
have done it.

Instructions in openEHR have a state machine - something that can allow you
to do this and record the instruction as having been completed - a proxy for
completing the act in the situation above.

A medication order will be carried out - usually - on many occasions - and
the batch number and site of administration (with insulin for example) may
be added.

An instruction may lead to a notification - at the user level (EHR open) or
system level (Recall).

Some actions are fully specified as entries already. A BP recording is fully
specified as an Observation and does not need to be specified in the
instruction to do it.

So instructions are not just a different expression of the action.

I hope this is helpful?

Cheers, Sam

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org