Melvin Reynolds wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Somewhat to my surprise I find myself agreeing with most of your
> points in the discussion below.

he he he, that's the kind of reply I like to see;-)

> However, the final statement "... As soon as one >starts thinking
> about what has to happen to turn messages into EHR >content, it
> becomes clearer and clearer that the EHR is nothing like a >compendium
> of messages; for from it - it is a time-based accumulator of >EHR
> information, some of which is sourced from messages, much of which >is
> created by human users of GUI applications." seems like a gross
> oversimplification of the reality.
>
> It is true a "readable" EHR is not likely to a compendium of messages.
> But an EHR for use in a primary care context is not likely require to
> present the same information (in full) as an acute secondary care EHR;
> and neither are likely to require to present the full audit trail of
> all messages, requests and reports that would be required of a
> medico-legally complete (but clinically unhelpful) EHR.

Well, that's probably fair enough (although I am not sure I believe that
GPs are any less required to have medico-legal protection than any other
clinician), but consider that even in a local GP EHR, modifications to
things like Current Medications, Family history, Social History,
Vaccination record, Therapeutic precautions , Problem list, will
generally not come from messages - there is no other place for this data
to come from but the GP application. It will instead come through the
application / EHR kernel API, and create EHR data on the fly.

Now... try to imagine how useful the GP EHR would be minus the items I
mention....

> As well as a clarification of scope, it would seem to be important to
> clarify at what level of context/granularity we are seeking to produce
> the EHR.

do you want to expand on this?

> Sorry if I've missed anything  - but the recent discussions would seem
> to indicate that I'm not alone if I have.

just point it out, and I'll try to explain more what I think, if at
least that can help...

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org