Hi Chris,

Privacy is a major 'topic'. Others include 'security' onsite, in
transmission, retention, archiving, copies, modifications and signatures.

Some jurisdictions have well-developed laws (and model code as well)
covering electronic records in eCommerce (includes the US and Clinton's
eSign bill). It is easy to see the parallel between the EHRs and the ERs
in eCommerce, e.g., an ER is an ER is an ER regardless.

Spring 2003 HIPAA summary:
http://www.dicksteinshapiro.com/seeninprint/publications/pdf/HLBSpring03.pdf

Reviewing the 'Security Rule' is interesting. Swiss Cheese!
'de-identified' information as an exclusion should be a joke. Compare
with the model code for eCommerce.

Use of words like 'may' in legislation translates into a 'wish' that the
tooth fairy is coming tonight.

Electronic eCommerce has moved ahead in many areas with contracting
being a significant area:

http://library.lp.findlaw.com/articles/file/00053/002195/title/subject/topic/computers%20%20technology%20law_digital%20signatures/filename/computerstechnologylaw_1_72

Electronic eCommerce already covers a major part of the globe. EHR
systems need to get the 'regional' environment working before the
national and global. But coming up with something unique to OpenEHR will
likely doom the project.

SUGGESTION:
What is good for electronic eEcommerce can be modified to suit EHRs.

Having said that I am back to the model codes. HIPAA just doesn't hack
it. What does? A model code is needed for the world.

ONE REASON:
HIPAA places emphasis on the responsibility of Providers for security.
That doesn't compute in a single-Provider office. Why? The
Patient-single-Provider environment has more security leaks that one can
easily describe. Add a Payer and it becomes impossible. Put it in front
of a court and you are asking for major complications.

COMMENT:
No more HIPAA-type legislative acts. Do the global model code somebody;
do it once.

If a set of global Healthcare applications are to be built to service
EHRs it cannot be dependent upon daily legislative changes and court
rulings (at all levels). This will not work without the ability to
excise one or more areas, e.g., regions, to avoid complications, e.g.,
jurisdictional-oriented changes.

Globally Patients, Providers and Payers may buy into this in a big way.
It is their governments, judicial systems and administratin of justice
organizations that are complications here. They need to buy into a model
code for global EHRs.

COMMENT:
Retrieve some laws still on the books in various states in the US. They
constitute a legal joke.

Some codes give mules the right-of-way requiring motor vehicles to stop
at the side of the road. Others require a chain to be drawn across the
road at sundown and on weekends. Others prohibit many things that are
taken for granted by the current populace.

Why haven't they been removed? Because things change constantly and one
never knows when it might be a good idea to run mules down main street.

A model code-based legislative act needs to supercede and eliminate all
conflicting laws. Change must be necessary  and properly integrated.

-Thomas Clark

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org