Dear all,

Thomas in particular to remind me to send the message to all, instead only to
him :-)

Some possible additions to Thomas procedure:

> a) some people develop some archetypes , e.g. American College of
> Opthalmologists (not sure what the proper title is)

Yes, any professional organisation, or multidisciplinary group, or even
patient organisations develop such things.

> ) these archetypes will have local vocabulary which defines meanings
> for exactly what terms need to mean in the exact context of the archetypes.

Yes, but, if this is going to be constructed, it is wise to already look at
well defined terminology and proceed as follows:

- if a scientifically validated and reliable scale (mini ontology?) is
available and meets the clinical need then choose that.
if this scales are not available, then use some kind of standardized
terminology like LOINC, SNOMED, ICF, NANDA or whatever.
if that is not available to fullfil the needs for the subject, then choose
your own wording that defines best the meanings for the clinical area.

> ) The mundane task of mappings to ICD or similar classifiers needed for
> reimbursement and various population & efficiency studies is easy. This
> will take care of the practical need for these codes.

Given the earlier suggestion to already use such terms, a part of the coding
has been done. Otherwise, depending on purpose (clinical trial is different
from international prevalence study) map from scale / local term to
classification.

> ) mappings to ontologies are more challenging, and it may well be that
> local archetype terms form "capsule vocabularies" that could be the

Yes, a validated scale on a particular issue around human functioning could
be part of an ontology, but perhaps not always. The Barthel index or the APGAR
score e.g. have distinct and different variables that probably would not stand
beside each other in an ontology. Or, it would be an ontology with many to
many parent - child relationships.

Snomed is probably
> more in this space than pure terminology, so it may be that we send
> change requests of some kind to them, based on archetyps.

Yes, the process would become interactively with knowledge determiners
(ontology, scales) terminology developers (semantics) and information modellers
(archetypes as constraining mechanisms for what a record system / messaging
system
must do with this particular grouping of patient data.

> ) due to d), ontologies may change over time in such a way that more
> direct mappings from archetypes become possible.

Yes, that might work two ways from archetype to ontology, but reverse to via
including from ontology into archetypes.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely yours,

Dr. William T.F. Goossen

Senior Researcher and Consultant Health and Nursing Informatics
Acquest Research and Development, Koudekerk aan den Rijn, the Netherlands
<A HREF="http://www.acquest.nl/";>http://www.acquest.nl/</A>
&
Adjunct Associate Professor in the College of Nursing, faculty in the
Organizations, Systems and Community Health Area of Study, the University of
IOWA,
Iowa City, Iowa, USA. www.nursing.uiowa.edu/NI
&
Country Representative for the Netherlands in the Special Interest Group
Nursing Informatics, IMIA.  http://www.infocom.cqu.edu.au/imia-ni/
&
Member Evaluation Committee International Classification for Nursing
Practice, Geneva, ICN.   <A HREF="http://www.icn.ch/";>International Council of
Nurses http://www.icn.ch/</A>   and
http://www.icn.ch/icnp.htm
&
Associate Professor, Adjunct on the faculty of the School of Nursing,
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA.
&
Bestuurslid Vereniging voor Medische en Biologische Informatieverwerking
<A HREF="http://www.vmbi.nl/";>http://www.vmbi.nl/</A>
&
Fellow of the Centre for Health Informatics Research and Development
(CHIRAD), School of Social Sciences, Kings Alfred's, Winchester <A
HREF="http://www.chirad.org.uk/";>www.chirad.org.u</A>k