Sam,

The issue of recording history in a data set is what I would like to have
the views of all who have had to handle the electronic management Of the
History.

Currently history and clinical findings recording is not standardized and
needs to be looked into. We have free text fields for data capture and this
entails typing in of data by the clinician and if it is by an aide the need
to sign it as having read and confirmed the data is as per the patient
findings.

The history is recorded in a  manner that in allopathic medicine has a by
and large a standard approach across countries. Has there been an attempt to
model the symptoms in a generic manner?. My feeling and understanding is no.
The symptoms is modelled shall be available to be called up whenever the
details are to be recorded and data is captured in a granular manner. The
symptoms are non volatile components in the history. The volatility is in
the interpretation and conclusion thereof. Akin to the archetypes there is a
strong possibility to have the symptom complexes defined and have them
available for data capture.

I believe that it is possible to capture the chief complaints and the
details relating to the same in a manner that the information is available
for data-mining and analysis at a later point of time.

The objective of any record capture is to be able to provide clinical
comparability and standardization across different clinicians. And all
clinicians want to capture data of the patient and want to be able to use
the data for analysis across a longitudinal plane of time.
I would like to have your thoughts of all as to:-- can we not model the
symptoms in a manner so as to make it a global element and then have the
question set called up for recording the
information pertaining to that element(Symptoms).

An argument that may be advanced is that the symptoms can not be managed in
a prepared template. I do believe that the present manner of capture of
history in the Free text form is not adequate and cannot be effectively
manipulated. If the symptoms are modelled they will be able to give the
clinicians a protocol that may allow the capture of the symptoms in an
appropriate manner to enable the clinicians to capture the information
relating to each symptoms.

How is the issue of capture of the details relating to Symptoms in the
history data set and clinical findings needs to be addressed.

Dr B S Grewal
Domain Expert
PGIMER

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org