Gerard Freriks wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Am I correct to conclude and propose that:
>
> - *episode:* situation considered to occupy a time interval
>
> - there are at least 4 context's in which the term 'Episode' is defined:
> disease related (point of view of the patient),

this kind of episode often has vague boundaries, and I think we have to
rely on following LINKs in the EHR to find all its pieces. If I get
bronchitis that seems to get better before it gets worse every two
weeks, is this a single episode or many? I don't think it matters - what
matters is being able to find all the information items relating to a
given problem.

> treatment related (point of view healthcare provider),
> adminstrative contact related (point of view of healthcare institution),

these two are I think possible to identify as being delimited by known
points in time, as long as the provider has a clear rule for when they
are providing health care, versus when they are not. They might be
providing care in parallel with other providers of course - e.g. Dipak
had a good example of patients on weekend leave from a mental health
institution, who become the responsibility of the local GP for the
weekend, but don't really stop being the responsibility of the institution.

> insurance related (point of view payer)

How re-imbursing institutions want to define episodes is something I
don't know much about, but Tim Churches or someone may have something to
add here. How does that work in NL, Gerard? I know there is a mixture of
government and private payors.

> - sometimes the period is real and enumerated (/dd-mm-yy, ISO 8601 :
> 1988Data elements and interchange formats - Information interchange -
> Representation of dates and times/),
> sometimes indefinite (/one week ago, some weeks ago, ongoing, during,
> before, etc, as defined in CEN/TC251 EN1238 Time standard for health
> care specific problems/)

I think such vague times can only be for clinical use (patient had an
"episode" of bronchitis about 2 weeks go, lasting about a week). For
billing or other computable purposes such as statistical studies, you
have to be able to know which things are in and which are out.

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org