Christine and Gavin

Some misunderstandings appear to have arisen. As all EHRs are composed
of compositions - it is only necessary to lock a composition for update
- and that will be usurped anyway by the new version.

Demographics are completely separated out - this is a design feature
that has been there for some time and relates to legislation in some
jurisdictions (no identifying information in the clinical data store)
and does aid security.

Further, it makes merging of EHRs very straight forward and allows for
different demographic identification at different sites - without
leading to conflict.

I think you will come to see the utility of this approach.

Extracts are for moving information from one EHR store to another - not
for accessing the EHR - this is done directly with the server - and the
demographics can be handled as you wish behind the scenes.

Archetypes are for discreet, complete reusable concepts - it is possible
to archetype the different RM classes - but section archetypes will not
include entry archetypes - rather reference them. The 'chaining' of
archetypes into a composition is done at runtime using 'templates'.
These have not been formalised as yet - but I include an experimental
template in XML (we have a shared tool to do this with ADL soon) to give
you the idea.

The sort of XML this might generate for a BP of 120/80 measured with a
wide cuff, an oral temperature of 36.5 C and pulse with rythm - for your
information - is also included. There are 4 archetypes involved - one
for the section - vital signs, one for BP, one for Pulse and one for
Temperature. The template selects those aspects of these concepts that
are required for recording vital signs, and how they will be organised.
The fact that the BP is part of vital signs does not alter its meaning
in any way.

The XML schema for openEHR data is not yet finalised, but will be a
single schema for all shared information. At Ocean we optimise this
somewhat for internal presistence - but the in memory representation is
always the same and based on the RM.

Just to reinforce - these artefacts are not produced according to an
agreed openEHR specification - and the standard form of templates will
not be XML as in this example - though you can clearly do as you wish
locally (templates do not alter semantics).

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers, Sam