Hi,

There is another issue with digital signatures in the context of EHRs:
Their value decreases over time and with them the value of digitally
signed documents as legal evidence.
In other words: securely signed documents don't necessarily provide a
secure basis for verifying authenticity for the required time-span of
EHRs (30 and more years).

This is due to the following reasons:
 - the employed cryptographic algorithms and the keys lose their
security qualification in the course of time. (algorithm may found to be
insecure, key length may be too short for increased computer power,..)
- It cannot be guaranteed that the directories and documents needed for
the verification of the underlying certificates are available for 30
years or more.

In addition, the use of digital signing procedures is often insecure and
information for the subsequent evaluation of the actual security is
missing.
To achieve high conclusiveness of digitally signed documents and to
realize their integration into practical use, the documents complete
life cycle ranging from generation of the document, generation of the
signature, presentation, communication to (long-time-)archiving and
later use have to be taken into account in a comprehensive way.

For a truly long-term-solution for EHRs, a solution must be provided for
this problem.
If you are interested in details, see http://www.archisig.de/english

Further, signed data may - of course - not be changed in order to keep
electronic signatures valid. But when data has to be exchanged across
networks, or in context of systems migration, such changes are
inevitably occuring. Trying to avoid this with the help of new
standardized and stable data formats contradicts experiences (although
openEHR itself might be a solution for this problem).
So, procedures are necessary to convert signed documents and preserve
their evidence value (legally secure transformation). See
http://www.transidok.de/index-en.html for details.

Regards,
Sebastian

Dr Sebastian Garde
Faculty of Informatics and Communication
Central Queensland University
Rockhampton Qld 4702, Australia

s.garde at cqu.edu.au
Ph +61 (0)7 4930 6542