Maybe this is a good discussion.  If the patient has access to their own
health record, then any information inappropriately in that record is a
violation of privacy to the person to whom that data belongs.

In this case, actually what I must do is to move the data from the
inappropriate person to the appropriate person.

It is likely that this error has been discover by the healthcare provider
on a subsequent encounter and reported to the IT department for correction.
In some cases, it is discovered by the patient.

Perhaps some of this opinion is biased by what I think an EHR is and what I
think its purpose is.  I think if a provider has delivered inappropriate
care as a result of bad information, that constitutes a violation of
patient safety and must be reported.  That action constitutes a legal
action, at least in the reporting sense.

Whether the data is logically or physically removed might be a legal issue;
however, if it is logically removed, there must be an indicator or such and
a process in which the logically removed data can be revealed.

Ed

                      "Sebastian Garde"

                      <s.garde at cqu.edu.au>            To:
<openehr-technical at openehr.org>

                      Sent by:                        cc:

                      owner-openehr-technical@        Subject:  RE: removal of
data
                      openehr.org

                      04/18/2006 11:05 PM

                      Please respond to

                      openehr-technical

Dear Ed,

I don't believe that this is a case for physically deleting data in the
record:
If data was attributed to the wrong patient, for medico-legal reasons it
still must be posssible to recreate the record exactly the way a physician
saw it during that period of time. You however should delete it logically
and give a reason for this.

Sebastian