Greg,
In this case at0004 does represent a unique concept but if you take another
archetype that uses archetype internal references such as
OBSERVATION.blood_pressure.v1 at0004 is not a unique concept as a systolic
BP within an "Any Event" event is different to a systolic BP within a "5
Minute reading" event.  Therefore you should consider the full paths as your
unique concept identifiers, not the node IDs.

BTW, the node ID predicates on singular attributes such as data, protocol,
state etc are superfluous and if you want to shorten paths, this would be a
valid way to do so without changing the semantics of the path (although it
is not a significant shortening).  For example, the following path is
equivalent to the path previously provided in the query.

o/data/events[at0002]/data/items[at0004]/value

Regards

Heath