Just want to be more specific about the questions (Daniel and I are
working together on this issue), I created the ADL following the
example from Daniel's post.

ELEMENT[at0002.1] matches {     -- Diagnosis
    value matches {
        DV_CODED_TEXT matches {
            defining_code matches {[ac0.1]
        }
    }
    links matches {
        LINK[at0003.1] matches { -- complication of
            target matches {
                DV_EHR_URI matches {
                    Value matches
{/content/items[openEHR-EHR-EVALUATION.diagnosis.v1]/}
            }
        }
    }
}

The ADL is created manually, so it might not have the correct syntax.
But you probably get the idea anyway.

The general question is if LINK is intended to be a runtime
facilitator or something that could be used in design time
(archetyping) as well?

Secondly, what's the status of tooling support, both in authoring
environment (archetype editors) and runtime systems (querying for
instance)?

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Cheers,
Rong